An Alumni Network 80,000 Strong

The W. P. Carey School launched its very first alumni magazine this month, even though the business school has been around for decades. The magazine is one of many efforts put in place by new dean Amy Hillman to reach out to — and connect or re-connect with — W. P. Carey alumni.

blog_makingconnections

That’s one of the great things about being here at the W. P. Carey School. Make that two great things. The first is the overwhelming sense of community here, and the second is the massive alumni network. If you’re considering your MBA, you have to consider the network you’ll be a part of. It can open doors years down the line that you’ve never thought of, and you can do the same for other W. P. Carey graduates, as well.

Brian McMahon, CEO at Segment International in Orange County, recently reflected on the impact the W. P. Carey alumni community can have on your career. “What I have learned is the value of networking — and by networking I don’t mean pestering people on LinkedIn.

“Networking is not about going to a mixer and getting a lot of business cards,” Brian says. “It’s about truly reaching out, truly helping people, understanding what their business, and I believe that comes back. I’ve certainly benefited from it.”

And with ASU homecoming week upon us, it really drives home the point that as a W. P. Carey student, I have a network of more than 80,000 people around the world and in all walks of life. I may not know them yet, but we certainly have one big thing in common, and that’s a good start.

This entry was posted in Alumni, Network and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.